Saturday, August 4, 2012

Critiques Received

I received my Unit 2 photo assignment critiques yesterday, and they weren't too bad. Phillip had some more good recommendations as to how I could improve my images, such as cropping in further on one of them, dodging one of the corners on another one, etc. He wasn't as happy with with the "framing" picture that I submitted, and I have to agree with him on that. I didn't really have a submission that I liked for that particular assignment, but I had to submit something. I had another stronger image that I COULD have submitted for the "framing" assignment, but I liked it better for the "leading lines" submission. Apparently I SHOULD have submitted it for the framing assignment. Oh well. :-)  I sent him more than the required 3 images, per his suggestion, so he could start to get a better idea of the type of pictures I took, and get a better idea of where my strengths and weaknesses are. He really liked the picture of the sun in the clouds over the dock that I submitted, stating that he wouldn't make any changes to that picture; that it was good just how it was. That was nice to hear. :-)

So now it's on to Unit 3, which isn't quite as exciting, but starts to make use of lighting, which is one of the most important aspects of photography. Hopefully I won't take as long to submit this assignment. *fingers crossed*

6 comments:

  1. How are you doing with the lessons? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been rather lax as of late, and haven't done much of anything in the way of photography. It just seems like I'm working all the time. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, but I need to have the sensor on my camera cleaned. Still, that's just another excuse to procrastinate. I need to take and print my pictures for Unit 3 soon!

    Lesson wise though, I'm working my way through Unit 5, currently studying about Photojournalism. It's a lot of information to absorb...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your reply Matt. I wish you luck on your photography lessons and keep us posted. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, how you are you? I'm considering doing the nyip course and googling for reviews I arrived at your blog. I know you dont't write here for a long time, but I hope you read this and help me make a decision. Bottom line: Do you think it's worth to enroll this course?
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's worth it if you're serious about photography. If you're just shooting pictures for fun, I wouldn't bother. Some of the information is dated (from the 70s-90s,) but the concepts are still the same. I was gungho for the first half of the training, and then I ended up focusing on other matters. I'm still trying to get back to my training and finish it off though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Hello. I just want to say that I completed the course, I got my certificate a year ago and I'm currently professionally working in advertising photography!
    I encourage you to get back to the course. The third unit is somewhat boring and so I understood what happened to you. I hope you are doing OK and you decided to study... anyway, you can complete it after a payment of an extra fee. Cheers and good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete